Though I put that career path behind me, it would be a HUGE waste of money if I didn’t get any takeaway from it. I find myself getting upset every now and then that I’ve essentially lost all my skills as a ballroom dancer, and though it may seem like it was a waste of 16 years, I definitely got some irreplaceable experience from it that benefits me every single day in the real world. Continue reading 10 Ways Competitive Dance Prepared Me For The Real World
- Replace all juices and sodas with water. At moments of thirst we usually crave something sweet, but we are only worsening the situation. Sugars are fairly dehydrating, therefore doing the opposite of what you want your drink to do. Not to mention the amount of unnecessary calories in those drinks.
- Lose the caramel from your caramel macchiato. I’ve made this transition myself, and that is exactly how I learned to appreciate REAL, tasty coffee. You will really save yourself on extra fat (and cash) if you simply order a cappuccino or a latte. The syrup and the drizzle account for about an extra 100 calories. Do you need those calories? No, you don’t.
- Ask for the dressing on the side. Believe it or not, sometimes ordering a salad is not the best “I’m on a diet” choice at a restaurant. In many cases, the dressing – what makes your salad so scrumptious and delicious – is harming you more than the veggies are helping you. To help yourself, you can either completely skip the dressing, or ask for it on the side. If the restaurant’s given dressing choice is extremely caloric, it may be a good idea to simply ask for some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the side instead.
- Reject the cold water at the restaurant. Yes, I am encouraging you to be that picky customer who asks for hot water with lemon. Drinking cold water during your meal is probably one of the most common nutrition mistakes. The cold temperature of the water slows down your metabolism – making the breakdown of the foods you are attempting to digest much slower, and giving your body a greater chance to hold onto all the wrong things. Drinking warm water will help you burn off and digest your meal much more easily.
- Glass of red wine over everything. Don’t get me wrong, I love my mojito, my caesar, my cosmopolitan, and of course, my beer. But when push comes to shove, and it’s time to make healthier choices in a drinking environment, red wine is the way to go. Research goes to show that the nutrients in red wine can break down fats and lower blood pressure. Drinking and losing weight?! What could be better, am I right?
Continue reading 5 small easy ways to eat and drink healthier – instantly!